Dan said in February 23rd, 2009 at 10:04 pm

This reminds me of the panic last year about how computers were making us stupid…because kids were being polite to each other in dorms. Some academics literally have no tools to figure out modern communication methods, so they freak.

Elliott said in February 23rd, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Psychologists are the narcissists for thinking we care what they think.

Rima said in February 23rd, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Hah, good points, both of you. Here are comments from a couple of my students via Twitter:

Lynn Marie: “The whole point of the internet is to communicate and share our thoughts and ideas. That does not mean we are narcissists!”

Ashlie: “We are in a completely narcissistic age. In my personal opinion, that is half the cause of the problems of the world.”

Two vastly different opinions!

I’m inclined to agree with the majority here–I don’t think we’re being narcissistic in our desire to keep in touch. (And keeping in touch is the main reason why I use Facebook and now Twitter.) Of course it is nice to let people know what I’m doing these days: I fully admit that one of my first Tweets was about my new kitchen. But does that really make me or anyone else a narcissist?

It’s food for thought.

I do agree with Ashlie that narcissism is one of humanity’s worst traits because it can lead to bad choices and worse actions. And I’m sure these social networks do have their share of narcissists!

Alison said in February 23rd, 2009 at 10:18 pm

Haha! I agree with Elliott. Psychologists have too much time on their hands that they probably secretly have their own Twitter/Facebook/Myspace themselves

LaReeca said in February 24th, 2009 at 8:19 am

I was just thinking about this today. I think it’s true, but this medium wouldn’t really work if we weren’t equally curious about other people and what they are doing.

thewatcherlives said in February 24th, 2009 at 8:23 am

I’d say no. What is the difference in Facebook and talking to your friends about your interest and thoughts. I don’t think that is narcissistic. I think it’s called social interaction. This is the next evolution of the species.

Goddes J said in February 24th, 2009 at 8:42 am

If it is a valid point about the narcissism, I doubt many people will agree because we don’t like to hear negative things about ourselves, no matter how true. Whether it is a valid point or not, I have no idea. Personally I never understood twitter, because there are facebook and myspace and texting and everything else, why do we need another way to tell people what we are doing every 5 minutes?! Next thing you know, bathroom breaks and sex and ‘ooooh baby jon just pooped green’ will be announced to everyone.

Rima said in February 24th, 2009 at 8:48 am

In response to Goddess J: Haha! Some people already post personal things like that!

But in all seriousness, I agree. No one likes hearing bad things about himself or herself.

I just disagree with the idea that we’re *all* narcissists. I do think that people who are narcissistic will come through more clearly as narcissists via sites like Facebook and Twitter, but as for the rest of us… maybe we do, too?

I mean, I really enjoy telling people about cool things in my life. But it’s not because I want them to be jealous or anything like that. I just want to share the things that make me happy. And I do try to tone it down. (It’s not like I post about every little thing–most recently I mentioned my new kitchen, which I think was definitely worth talking about.)

The same thing, I think, applies to people who constantly and consistently post “woe-is-me” status messages. Sure, some want attention because they’re narcissists and need to be validated through others’ attention. But most other people, I think, just want to express their emotions because it makes them feel better to do so.

inhelillRom said in March 7th, 2009 at 7:12 pm

?????? ????-????? 2008 ???? ?? 200 ??. ???? ????????. ??????!!!
+7 960 200 9209