thomas said in January 7th, 2009 at 6:55 pm

But then there is also something to be said about someone who knows what he’s talking about and has the skills to frame what is happening in the larger picture.

Joe can tell you that “Wow..people are suffuring, the cities are being devastated, and there is anger, frustration and fear.” Versus CNN analyst Fareed Zakaria who could tell you that Hamas is part a terrorist group but now is embedded in Gaza society, building hospitals, roads, homes, and is now the political power in Gaza, but still pursues attacks on Israel because it believes Israel is not a state but zionists who have taken the land away from the rightful owners(Palestinians)…yada yada…Funded by Iran to weaken America’s standing in muslim countries…yada yada…etc…

thomas said in January 7th, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Just thought of this…

But he can’t give you an UNDERSTANDING of the situation unless someone else puts it up on the teleprompter.

Rima said in January 8th, 2009 at 4:44 pm

“There is a certain honesty with some average guy reporting what he sees who doesn’t have to worry about his ratings.”

True, but Joe isn’t going overseas to blog for himself. He’s working for a media company, albeit a small one. And as far as I can tell, he’s getting paid to be himself (that is, Americans’ perception of his Joe the Plumber alter ego).

“A good way to say it is Joe/Sam can give you an honest opinion. He can give you the American point of view. He can also represent Republican ideology.”

He might represent typical party ideology, but I think Americans are too divided on the issue for Joe to be their sole voice.

I think you’re right about the rest: He’s not an analyst, nor an expert on the region.

thomas said in January 9th, 2009 at 7:11 pm

YUP.

I don’t think he’ll be much more informed than ME doing the same job.

I guess I mean to say is that there already is so much BAD reporting, he could easily do better.
It all depends on how high you set the bar. I would trust his opinions more than I would Rush Limbaugh or Shawn Hannity. I trust Joe’s opinions as much as I would every member of The View outside of Walters. And he could probably sound more level headed than Lou Dobbs or Anne Coulter. And he probably wouldn’t sensationalize the news like Wolf Blitzer and CNN does.

I think Joe could do a better job than what we are currently getting.

But to be honest… I think he’ll be boring.

:D

thomas said in January 10th, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Here is something you may like. The Daily Show’s take on Joe the war correspondant:

It’s actually halfway into the segment.

I love how Joe phrased how he plans to stay safe in a war torn region. And of course being totally naive, he chooses “the most offensive possible answer to the people of the region”.

:D

Rima said in January 11th, 2009 at 9:50 am

Tom, regarding your second last comment, I just wanted to say that I sincerely appreciate your input. It’s good to hear a non-journalist’s take on things. I’m glad to have you here. :)

As for the video, that was hilarious. I haven’t seen the Daily Show in quite sometime, but I’ve always enjoyed it!

I felt like the “pronounciate” thing was a little b it of a cheap shot. Joe seemed nervous and so he misspoke. But as for the whole “I’m a Christian…God will protect me” thing, egad. Watch what you say when you’re over there, Joe!

thomas said in January 12th, 2009 at 7:10 pm

Thanks Reemie!

And re: Joe, I was thinking the same thing! He’s going to get himself killed.

To me, this is right up there with those Korean Baptist Missionaries that decided to in the name of God to convert Taliban to Christianity….Yeah…that worked well…

jmarrexi said in January 14th, 2009 at 12:44 am

I really don’t think he has the proper training to cover something of this magnitude. Like some of the above comments, he doesn’t know that saying certain things or certain reactions can and will get him into trouble.

Personally, I think community journalism is great….but to an extent. I think it has its merits when it comes to covering the bake sale for a local church or a car accident that happened in front of the local gas station./

However, for something like this international affair, the networks need someone who can fully report on the situation, good and bad. Joe will be able to give his honest opinion about suffering, but will he really be able to interpret and fully understand that reporting news is not just standing in front a camera for all the world to see.

sheenabarnett said in January 19th, 2009 at 5:26 pm

I agree with jmarrexi here – community journalism is great, and often I believe the community can see a different side of the story than the well-worn journalist. This story, though, is so important, so completely huge – I’m not sure he’s ready. Reporting is my job and even I’m not sure *I* could cover it adequately, you know? It’s a huge responsibility.