Brandon said in December 14th, 2010 at 4:01 pm

As I noted on Facebook, I’m thoroughly impressed that you can make me sound even more pretentious. That really does take skill =) A fun read!

Matt said in December 14th, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I think the empanada shell overwhelmed the grasshopper taste, but I liked it. :)

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Rima Chaddha Mycynek, anomie666. anomie666 said: RT @newsgeek: News-Geek and friends try #grasshopper #empanadas. Have you ever eaten bugs? http://fb.me/Q71CpXl1 [...]

Rima said in December 14th, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Thanks, guys! Indeed, grasshoppers do not carry much of a flavor on their own. :)

Brandon: Now, now. You were hilarious. I loved your commentary–very descriptive!

Dawn said in December 14th, 2010 at 10:36 pm

Just reading that made me feel queasy..ugh.

I do like the format of this piece. It, unfortunately in this instance, puts the reader at the table with you.

James W. said in December 15th, 2010 at 7:23 am

I ate grasshoppers when I was stationed over seas. I agree that they’re pretty flavorless on their own! They taste kind of like grass if you have them plain no salt or anything.

They were nutritious but I’ll stick with my steaks!

Mike said in December 15th, 2010 at 7:33 am

Oh GREAT piece! Dawn is right you do put the reader at the table. But im not grossed out. Im intrigued!!! Ive never eaten anything weird. The sauce sounded good too.

Gaia said in December 15th, 2010 at 7:44 am

I’ve eaten grasshoppers straight up – they were bitter (but they might have been a little burnt – hard to tell).

Savery said in December 15th, 2010 at 7:45 am

LOL! Loved this!! I especially loved the mug shots of all the tasters…mid bite with reactions.

mmm…protein.

David W. said in December 15th, 2010 at 7:46 am

I’ve definitely been hungry enough to eat grasshoppers recently. Wouldn’t have thought twice the first two weeks at OCS.

Matt said in December 15th, 2010 at 7:55 am

I would so eat these things. When you’ve already had mill worms and bugs in chocolate, it’s not a big deal. The secret is in the sauce.

Dana X. Calibur said in December 15th, 2010 at 9:44 am

I don’t care if it makes me sound narrowminded.

I will never ever EVER eat bugs on purpose. Yuck. :^(

Joshua Ellison said in December 15th, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Hahahahahahahahahha! Love it. =] I also love that I can now say I know what grasshoppers taste like but that I’ll never have to try them.

qazine796 said in December 15th, 2010 at 2:40 pm

You guys are so gangsta. I could never eat that.