[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Rima Chaddha Mycynek, Rima Chaddha Mycynek. Rima Chaddha Mycynek said: There are now more Facebook users worldwide than there are Buddhists. To celebrate, we're all invited to share our… http://fb.me/DcIYIHSL [...]

Shannon said in July 18th, 2010 at 7:50 am

More Facebookers than buddhists! Now that puts things into perspective!

The 420 char. limit is smart because it forces people to not be so long-winded and to type like they normally would on the site anyway.

Shannon

WildWestDave said in July 18th, 2010 at 10:01 am

It took me a while, but I think I actually do have a story worth submitting. FB helped me get back in touch with an old friend from high school. It turns out that we live in the same city. Now, we hang out a lot and have really reconnected. Until Facebook came along I never thought I’d see or hear from most people from my school again. I was really introverted back then and wasn’t really close to anyone including the people I called “friends.” Now it’s like I have a second chance.

sheenabarnett said in July 18th, 2010 at 11:14 am

OK, the fact that there are more FB users than Buddhists is…insane. Wow.

My story? When I was editor at The DM, I wrote a column about dating. A guy sent me a letter to the editor through Facebook, playfully debating my column. A few months later we started dating. Though we broke up in just six months, he’s now one of my best friends in the world.

Rima said in July 18th, 2010 at 11:47 am

The Buddhism figure is even more staggering if you take into account that, according to several sources, the religion is the 4th most popular faith in the world, following Christianity, Islam, and Hinduism. There are more Buddhists than there are Sikhs and Jews combined.

So it’s just fascinating to me that there will soon be 1/2 billion Facebook users on the planet!

If you’ve ever wondered why I write so much about social networking (and why I ever posted this: http://www.news-geek.com/blog/my-social-media-blackout-confessions-of-an-addict/ ), there you have it!

Thanks for sharing, Dave and Sheena. Those are both great stories! :)

zaranie said in July 19th, 2010 at 12:00 pm

I love the story and I love that you have the picture to illustrate it. BTW, I love that picture too.

Rima said in July 19th, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Aw shucks *toe kick*

Thanks, Zaranie! :)

Anonymous said in April 16th, 2011 at 8:11 pm

To celebrate itll launch Facebook Stories a visual memorial to all the ways the social network has changed peoples lives. All Things Digitals BoomTown blog in an interview with Facebook marketing guru Randi Zuckerberg last week.